Monday, July 25, 2011

The Raw Human Experience

"Even a brick wants to be something!"
                                   -Louis Kahn

The Raw Revolution has continued well into July, with a new challenge being set among four friends that we could remain all raw, all vegan, for the entire month of July.  First we allowed ourselves the enjoyment of July 4th weekend, before delving into our new found discipline.  This about sums up the spirit of that weekend:


And... then the fun was over.  Just kidding.  Sort of.  Then the fun began.

Raw has naturally defined cleaning out our closets in many ways, because, at least to a foodie, the learning curve on how to shop and plan meals is pretty steep.  I mean, anyone can eat an apple, but to prepare it in an interesting way that is still beneficial and feeds the creative side in the kitchen, is a whole new ball game.  If you are wondering how it's going, it can be evidenced by my lack of recent posts that it is, to say the least, a bit challenging.  Our household is three weeks in now, and we have adjusted pretty well at this point, with lingering headaches fading into the background and food preparation becoming more habit and less hassle.  I would have liked to document more of the road we have traveled, but as they say, life (or in this case, work) happens.  It is my hope I get a chance for some recap and to share what I consider some valuable information in the near future.

The whole hairbrained idea was conceived by Hillari and I the week before July 4th, as we lunched over our Venice sandwiches at 1134 and dished about health and wellness.  Despite OMPlate focusing on fresh food, we were still finding ourselves faced with the vicious up-down cycle of dinner, wine, and a groggy a.m. wearing a coffee i.v. matched by a weak promise to be more cognizant of our limits the next go around.  As we all know, old habits die hard.

I knew we were onto something when, a couple of days into the raw commitment, this appeared in the twilight sky over our patio:


No rain in sight, just a beautiful spectrum hovering above.

Let me assert:  abject repetition is boring.  Human creativity thirsts for dynamism and this is no different when it comes to repeating patterns that no longer serve us.  Yes, we thirst for celebration.  And it's important.  But my party hankering dries up when I observe myself becoming loathe to engage in normal daily activities simply because I overdid it the night before - in food and beverage -  yet again.  I am particularly sensitive to this when I notice it affecting my parenting.  My five-year-old need not pay for my lack of discipline.

More and more my body reminds me that old habits no longer serve me.  And I am committed to drinking life in, which is why it was time to go dry.  At least for a while.  I am not a brick, but I certainly want to live more intelligently than one.  And as we are the architects of our bodies, minds and souls, there comes a time to begin stacking things in our favor, and the favor of loved ones.  Plus moving to a raw lifestyle means vice is traded for the intense pleasure of eating foods packed with flavor and nutrients, as well as having energy at an even keel. 

Every raw blog I read going into this said that once you adjust to the raw diet, you will not longer crave most cooked foods.  I dare say they are right.  Not that I haven't had my moments of allowing the pendulum to swing back the way it came.  Hey, I'm no brick, I'm human.


Soul Food
Beyond nutrition, it is important to surround ourselves with those who encourage us to keep our lives fresh, people who remind us it is not just ok to continually evolve, but ideal.  Worlds open up when we bring ourselves to form partnerships with people who help us grow in leaps and bounds, and come ever closer to living with the Four C's: Clarity, Coherence, Creativity and Compassion.  And even though I just made those up, I like the sound of them.

I tend to surround myself with optimists because to me, dissent will creep on its own, like a dark mist, into any situation if given an open door, so why encourage it?  Positive thinking is contagious.  It's the flower that bears the juicy fruit in life.  My friend, Hillari, is full of optimism, and celebrates the human condition like no one else I know.  Her sisterhood has been an important part of my own personal growth.  And I know I am not alone in this.  She offers her guidance and friendship to many.  She makes it clear that obstacles are simply perceived, and if we put our minds to it, we are all capable of greatness.  Plus she meets, and often exceeds, my wackiness tenfold.

Example:  If I told Hillari I had a dream that I was abducted by E.T.s and had been impregnated with an alien child, and awoke to discover that it was not a dream at all but had actually occurred, without skipping a beat she would say, "and what do you plan to name the little hybrid?"  Can't help but love someone like that.  So thank you Hillari.

 Hmmmm..?

Having the support of her friendship, and well as that of her husband, Kai (with whom my significant other, Alec, has formed quite the bromance - more on that later - er, not that you were hoping for that), has helped us not only stick with this experiment, but thrive.  Kai and I have been busy coming up with recipes to thrill the tastebuds and keep us out of raw monotony (would that be rawnotony?), with all of us reaping the benefit of exploring something that contributes to overall health and well being.  No, one does not need to be an absolute purist, but allowing ourselves the discomfort of breaking from our normal routine to approach something with open curiosity - not because because we have to, but simply because we can - is truly a gift worth celebrating.  Hillari and Kai together make up soul food, so I suppose it is appropriate that I am writing this post today, on their 13th Anniversary.  Alec and I certainly celebrate your love and friendship today.

So there goes the rare dissertation.  On a more serious note, there are many health and environmental considerations when it comes to making our food choices.  I will have more on that soon, as well as a thought-provoking take on our hunter-gatherer instincts.  Ciao for now!
 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Nina! Love the auspicious rainbow ... Carmen

    ReplyDelete