Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Agretti with Crispy Pancetta

It is worth mentioning agretti because it has been getting a little push at the Saturday Mercato and because it is a very mild and versatile veggie with nutritional benefits similar to spinach.  I found an interesting history of the plant, as well as its functionality as an ingredient in glass making, on The Ethicurean blog.  Turns out this veg, new to me, is not so new to many.


As seen at the Mercato

As I do most things, I kind of attacked the agretti I had purchased at the market with my own ideas of preparation.  I familiarized myself with the plant as I washed and trimmed it.  I could tell even the smaller stalks were quite fibrous, and wondered how much cooking they would need to become tender. 

I decided to prepare some roasted garlic and crispy pancetta to enhance the flavor, and also to reel in some of my largely carnivorous friends.

First I preheated the oven to 375 degrees.  Then I took two bulbs of garlic, chopped off the tops, placed them on a square of tin foil, drizzled them with olive oil and hit them with some salt and pepper.



I folded up the foil airtight and roasted the garlic for a half hour.  Once they were done, I removed them from the oven and set them aside to cool.

Next I diced up some pancetta and added it to a pan over low heat.  Low heat allows the fat to render and the pancetta to crisp without becoming tough or burning. 



It cooked for about a half hour before becoming just crispy.  I used a mesh spoon to remove the pancetta to a plate lined with a paper towel.



I drained off the excess fat in the pan, then added a thinly sliced shallot.  I cooked the shallot for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then I added a tablespoon of olive oil, and the agretti.  I turned the agretti in the olive oil and shallots using a pair of tongs, then added a cup of water and covered it for ten minutes.

While the agretti was cooking, I took the cooled garlic bulbs and squeezed the cloves out of the paper casings, onto a plate. 

Once the agretti felt tender, I removed it to a plate, added the roasted garlic and pancetta, and tossed it all together.  I reserved a little pancetta for garnishing when ready to serve.



All in all, it was pretty tasty.  I hear the agretti is great in a pasta dish, I will have to give that a future try... still, kale has won my heart for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment