Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Cup Filleth Over

The morning of June 1st, when OMPLate was set to begin, I awoke more glassy-eyed than a packed house at the Rock on Sunday.  A long holiday weekend resulted in over satiation, which then translated to a feverish need for a coffee IV insertion.  My yoga mat called out to me, but I could not hear it over the drip.

So I crept to the kitchen, poured myself a cup o'Joe (which Alec had so thoughtfully made earlier), and scanned the counter for something healthier than white sugar with which I may sweeten my brew.

I don't know about you, but I have a major sweet tooth, one that can be likened to a tiger:  gentle and soft while sleeping, roaring, ravenous beast when awakened.  Hm, that's more me than tiger.  The point is, I like coffee, but I really like coffee with sugar.  A moderate amount, but sweet nonetheless.

A Brief Comment on Sugar
Most of us are aware that too much sugar can lead to obesity, diabetes, and blow out our immune systems.  Yes, it is a naturally occurring substance, but it does little to encourage health.  Hence the resulting tummy aches and break downs at birthday parties after cake.  When I consume sugar, I want to take a nap.  Our bodies generally tell us not to eat or drink too much of it.  My mama always said listen to your body, so I'm going with that.  Small amounts = less fallout. 

Keeping it Real
I have to admit, well before OMPlate was conceived, I had my reservations about artificial sweeteners.  Though I lean toward the everything in moderation mentality (I am, after all, a moderate yogi on my good days), the artificial sweeteners really freak me out.  I have never read any supportive data about the stuff.  Any of it.  OK, except when it's published by Monsanto.  Most of it spells poison to me.  P-O-I-S-O-N.  Do your own research, but I would advise, when possible (and this is only my opinion, lawyers!) to avoid the pink, blue, and yellow packets at all costs, unless you are using them to level a shaky table in a restaurant.  It is not advisable to consume substances that must be processed from or with chemicals in a lab. 

Oh, and if you are buying those ads about HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) being natural and ok in moderation, click here for the scoop.  Consuming this stuff is like walking down a dark alley, being kicked in the head and mugged by some guy (the you-know-who big food manufacturer), then making an appointment to go back the next day.  And the day after that, and the day after that.

The Nectar is the Thing
Several years ago, along came agave nectar, and we became fast friends.  Delicately sweet, versatile, and lacking the viscosity and intense flavor of honey, agave nectar also has the added benefit of registering low on the glycemic index, i.e. no sugar high, no sugar low.  Mama like!

As allaboutagave.com puts it:
In many regards agave nectar bridges the gap between real and artificial sweeteners. While it has all the useful properties of real sugars, its lower glycemic index helps protect against health risks associated with higher glycemic sweeteners.
Also, because agave nectar is heated to under 120 degrees during processing, it retains many of its essential nutrients, and can be considered a "raw" food to many.  For more info on agave nectar click here. 


Happy with my organic agave nectar and half and half

So I made the switch and have been using agave nectar in my coffee for the past week.  And I don't miss sugar a stitch.  I am still aware that agave nectar is a sweetener, and does cause a reaction in my body that says, "get up and move, will ya?" so I do plan to take a brisk walk after completing this post.  

Right after I have one more cup.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment